PHOTOS BY Hillary Ehlen, Jesse Hoorelbeke and Paul Flessland
Each month this year, we featured a talented mixologist from the local bar and restaurant scene, along with a tasty concoction of theirs. The year was filled with delicious recipes and incredibly skilled individuals, and we sure as heck enjoyed trying all of their cocktails. Take a look at who showed us their skills in 2017.
The Boiler Room
“Roberts Alley Mule”
• 1 1/2 oz. Evan Williams Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey
• 1/2 oz. Breckenridge Bitters Liqueur
• 1/2 oz. agave
• 1/4 oz. lemon juice
• 4 dashes Fee Brothers Bitters
• Splash of ginger beer
• 1 blackberry
• 1 basil leaf
This cocktail is built similar to an Old-Fashioned but topped with ginger beer. Muddle blackberry and basil with agave, lemon juice, bitters and a splash of ginger beer at the bottom of a tumbler glass. Add whiskey and liqueur, fill the glass with chipped ice, top off with ginger beer and then give it a light stir.
Spirits Lounge & Casino (At Holiday Inn Fargo)
“Strawberry Rose Petal Caprioska”
• 1 1/2 oz. Stoli Strasberi Vodka
• 1 1/2 oz. rose water simple syrup
• Handful of mint
• 3-4 rose petals
• Half a lime
• 2 strawberries (cut into quarters for easy muddling)
• Soda water
Rose Water Simple Syrup: Use one part rose water and one part sugar. Bring the rose water to a slow boil and slowly whisk in the sugar until it all melts down and becomes saturated into the water.
Muddle the strawberries with the fresh-squeezed lime juice and rose water simple syrup. Fontaine’s tip is to not muddle the mixture into a mushy clump, but just a little bit to get the juices going. “Twist and slap” the mint into the mixture to break up the veins (no muddling). Add the rose petals for garnish inside the drink. Fill the glass with ice and add the vodka before topping the drink off with soda water. Use a martini spoon to mix the ingredients at the bottom and lift them toward the top of the glass. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves.
Blarney Stone Pub
• 1 oz. “Pikey’s Poitin”* or 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey
• 1/2 oz. Melon Dekuyper Liqueur
• 1/2 oz. lime juice
• Ginger ale
“Pikey’s Poitin” is the Blarney Stone Pub’s special mix of 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey infused with apples and cinnamon. You can easily make another version of this drink at home by just using the classic 2 Gingers, too.
Start with a pint glass filled with ice and add the whiskey, liqueur and lime juice before filling the rest of the glass with ginger ale. Give it a little shake and garnish with a lime.
Fargo Billiards & Gastropub
• 2 oz. Absolut Mandarin Vodka
• 1 oz. Finest Call simple syrup
• 1 oz. pineapple juice
• 1 oz. orange juice
• 3 small slices fresh jalapeño
• 2 orange wedges
• 1 lime wedge
• 1 lemon wedge
Start by rimming a martini glass with sugar. Muddle simple syrup with jalapeño, lemon, lime and orange slices in a tumbler shaker. Add vodka, pineapple juice and orange juice to the muddle ingredients and shake. Strain into glass and garnish with an orange wedge.
Urban 42 Kitchen & Bar (At Delta Hotels by Marriott Fargo)
“Chili Chocolate Martini”
• 1 1/2 oz. Svedka Cherry Vodka
• 1/2 oz. Kahlua Chili Chocolate Liqueur
• 1/2 oz. Luxardo cherry juice
• 1/2 oz. half & half
Fill a shaker with ice and add all ingredients. Pour into a mixing glass and place shaker on top, then shake the mixture. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with two Luxardo cherries.
Round Up Saloon
• 1 1/2 oz. Deep Eddy Cranberry Vodka
• 1/2 oz. sweetened lime juice
• Ginger beer
• Lime wedges
Muddle a lime wedge with the lime juice at the bottom of a copper mug (common mule mug or something similar). Fill the glass with ice, add the vodka and top off with ginger beer. Garnish with a lime wedge.
Würst Bier Hall
“Hoppy Bourbon Sour”
• 1 oz. Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey
• 1/2 oz. simple syrup
• 1 oz. lemon juice
• Fargo Brewing Company’s Iron Horse Pale Ale
Fill a tall glass with ice and add whiskey, simple syrup and lemon juice. Top off the rest of the glass with the beer and mix lightly.
Rosey’s Whiskey & Wine Room (At Rosey’s Bistro & Bar, former D’Vine space)
“Last Pale Light In The West”
• 1/4 tsp. red wine simple syrup
• Dash of orange bitters
• 1/2 oz. Courvoisier Fine Cognac
• 1/4 oz. Chartreuse Liqueur
• 2 oz. High West Campfire Whiskey
• Amarena cherry for garnish
Start with a mixing glass and add liquids in the order listed. Add two to three ice cubes and stir for 30 seconds. Strain mixture into a rocks glass an garnish with a cherry. You can pour the drink over ice or without, depending on your preference.
Lucky’s 13 Pub
• 4 oz. Ruffino Prosecco
• 2 oz. Stoli Razberi vodka
• 1 1/2 oz. Chambord Raspberry Liqueur
• Splash of Finest Call Elderflower Syrup
Simply pour all liquids into a stemless wine glass, add a few raspberries and then top the rest of the glass off with ice.
The Bomb Shelter
• 1 ½ oz. Courvoisier Cognac
• 1 ½ oz. Disaronno Liqueur
• Splash of Finest Call Lime Juice
• Splash of Cranberry Juice
Simply use a rocks glass and build the liquids over ice. Garnish with lemon and lime.
Tru Blu Social Club
• 2 oz. Stoli Blueberi
• 1 oz. Chase Elderflower Liqueur
• lime juice
• ½ oz. simple syrup
Fill a shaker with ice and pour in all of the ingredients. Shake the mixture and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a flower and enjoy!