Heather Clyde, Shelter Manager and Heather Klefstad, Public Relations and Marketing Manager, with the Homeward Animal Shelter take us through some things to know before adopting.
2202 2nd Ave. E, West Fargo
9 9th St. S, Fargo
1201 28th Ave. N, Fargo
(Offers spay and neuter services for pets from limited income households)
2125 1st Ave. S, Fargo
By The Numbers
Last year, Homeward took in 51 percent of the unclaimed strays from the three local pounds (the remaining 49% were rescued by the other 4 rescues/shelters in town).
In 2017, the Homeward Animal Shelter adopted out 864 animals and transferred an additional 42 to other rescues.
To date, in 2018, they have adopted out 362 animals.
"The biggest thing is that they’re looking at an animal that’s appropriate for their lifestyle. Some people see a picture and go, ‘That dog is so cute. I want it.’ Yeah, but it’s not a good fit for your lifestyle because you either don’t have enough time for it or it has too much energy." - Clyde
While you need to keep in mind your lifestyle, you might fall in love with a dog you'd never expect. "Be open-minded that you might come in looking for a border collie but you might walk out with the small poodle mix." - Klefstad
It is $109 to adopt a cat and $169 to adopt a dog but the costs go far beyond that. "If you’re looking at getting a puppy or kitten, the adoption fee will only cover the start of their costs. They’ll need a lot of boosters, spay and neuter. Sometimes, the unexpected happens and there’s an emergency so making sure that you have an emergency fund in case something happens to your animal so you’re not in the position of, ‘I got this animal and I can’t afford treatment so now I need to return it to the shelter.’" - Clyde
"People need to always be careful anytime they’re bringing in any new animal, regardless of where they get it from. These are animals that you are bringing into your home and you do need to assume that there’s always a potential that they may not do well with your children so keep a close eye on your kids whenever you bring home a new cat or dog and the same with other animals." - Clyde
"There’s a lot of poverty on the reservations and there are no vet clinics on any of the reservations, to my knowledge. They just don’t have the resources to spay or neuter their animals. A lot of the animals are housed outdoors, which means if you have animals that aren’t spayed or neutered and they’re housed outdoors with other animals, you end up with a lot of litters of puppies that are being born and then those puppies procreate and you have hundreds of dogs that are homeless and they’re exposed to disease because of the number of dogs that are there and they’re not vaccinated." - Clyde
"The first year, I was here full-time, which was 2007, 775 cats and 120 dogs were euthanized in the pound. Last year it was 45 cats and 10 dogs. It’s a huge drop in euthanasia rates in the pounds and the animals that were euthanized either had extreme injuries or illnesses." - Clyde
"People need to not assume that every dog or cat in the shelter is either broken or damaged in someway and that they’re not mutts. We get in quite a few purebred dogs or dogs that they may be mixed breeds but they may be mixed breeds that people pay hundreds of dollars for at the pet store. For example, right now, we have a purebred standard poodle and we have a half basset/half dotson. ... We also get tons of puppies, especially from the reservation. They are mixed breed dogs but if people are looking for puppies, we generally have puppies. With cats, we do get some purebred cats, not extremely often, but we get pretty much every color. Some of them are declawed if they prefer that." - Clyde
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!