Photos By Nolan P. Schmidt
There is nothing quite like coming in from the cold Fargo temperatures to a nice, warm bowl of soup. Knowing this, Chef Mike Wald at Maxwells in West Fargo put together a delightfully simple soup option for this holiday season. This chipotle sweet potato bisque is a creamy, earthy, balanced and slightly spicy soup that will surely warm your soul.
Even better, the soup can be made in large quantities and frozen for future use. To get several meals out of such a simple recipe is extremely convenient! Especially after a long day of work where cooking may seem less than desirable. Chef Wald delivers all of that in this flavorful bisque.
- 3 roasted skinned sweet potatoes
- 2 caramelized yellow onions
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped and sauteed
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- ½ quart heavy cream
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2 chipotle peppers w/ adobo
- A pinch of black pepper
In a Soup Pot
- Chop yellow onions and caramelize in pot with butter. Once caramelized, add chopped celery and sautee for one minute.
- Add sherry wine and bring to a boil.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a food blender, blend until smooth and transfer back to the soup pot to maintain an even temperature.
- Garnish with croutons and scallions.